Our philosophy at Maureen’s Swim Academy is to create safe, independent swimmers. We follow the American Red Cross Learn to Swim and Water Safety Program. Adults that have not learned or are not considered safe swimmers, this is the year to complete your bucket list. What are you waiting for? Our goal is to decrease the statistics of accidental drowning deaths in Florida. Our program focuses on customizing the lesson around each student’s needs and abilities. We accomplish this by our one-on-one private instruction, semi-private, or group lessons (max 3 in a group). Learning to swim should be nurturing, fun and taught in a logical progression. Our certified instructors are trained to positively guide YOU or YOUR CHILDREN in accomplishing your goals or that of your child/children. Water Safety is key and is weaved throughout our swim classes.
We Come To You or You Can Come To Us!
We can teach the student in the comfort of your own swimming pool! We teach at client’s home pools and community pools. We have an enclosed, heated, saltwater pool that we teach comfortably in year round bordering Tampa/Oldsmar. If you do not have your own pool, we might have access to a pool closer to you throughout the 3 counties (Pinellas, Pasco, Hillsborough). Please call because our locations are always changing throughout the year.
When Maureen was a Junior in High School, she was teaching swim lessons to very large groups of children. Her heart went out to each child because they were being robbed of learning. She thought If only they could be in a private lesson, they would have been swimming in no time. Why would anyone want to prolong the length of learning to swim and being safe around the water? From that point forward Maureen saw the importance of private lessons and for years, thereafter, she has set out to teach exactly that way. Maureen full heartedly believes in teaching people of all ages the importance of water safety education and saving lives through swimming lessons. Her love for children and water fueled her ambition to start her own swim school. Through continued education, Maureen travels around the country to study other swim programs and regularly attends conferences to stay up-to-date on industry insight. Parents get the benefit of our history of unmatched experience. Maureen’s Academy teaches in a logical progression and are customized to the individual needs and personality of each student.
- Education: B.S Degree in Physical Education from Cal State Fullerton,CA
- Experience: 25 years teaching swimming lessons (taught over thousands of lessons)
- 20+ years ~ Owner/ Developer of Maureen’s Swim Academy, Inc. in the Tampa Bay Area.
- First Aid CPR/AED (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation / Automated External Defibrillator)
- WSI (Water Safety Instructor)
- Lifeguard Certified
- NDPA National Drowning Prevention Alliance Conferences
- Special Abilities Pool Workshop/Special Abilities Classroom Workshop/ Instructor Course, and Presenter Course with Special Abilities Certificate through USSSA
- A member of USSSA United States Swim School Association and attends their conferences regularly
Maureen’s heart breaks every time she hears about a drowning taking place. The statistics show that accidental drownings are much more common than most would believe. Maureen doesn’t want this to happen to your children. She personally started teaching her own children when they were very young because it was so frightening being around water knowing that they could drown! She decided to do everything she could to prevent the chance of this horrible loss happening in her own family.
Our trained instructors are certified in First Aid, CPR, WSI or MWSI, and most of them are Lifeguard certified. In addition, I share my 25+ years of experience with them and they learn to understand the different personalities, behaviors, and what can be achieved at each age level on average. We provide the total educational package, beginning with 8 week old infants all the way through Senior Citizens. Including but not limited to:
- Special Abilities
- Survival Swimming for Infants/ Toddlers
- Stroke Development,
- Swim Team Preparedness
- Triathlete Improvements
- Overcoming the Fear of the Deep and Water in General
- Boy Scout/Girl Scout Badge Requirements
- Military/Law Enforcement Swim Requirements
- Lifeguarding Service for Private in-home Parties, Yacht Clubs, and Special Events
- Passing Specific Swim Requirements